Pascale Dionne-Bourassa is a specialist in civil and commercial litigation and construction law. She has a vast experience in class action suits in the areas of civil and competition law. She has acted as defence counsel in connection with numerous mandates on behalf of major companies who work in the manufacture of pharmaceutical products, and in the assembly and distribution of automobiles and trucks.
Pascale Dionne-Bourassa is one of the few lawyers in the Province of Québec with an expertise in competition law. She has acted as an advisor in the development of competition compliance programs and has represented her clients in inquiries into restrictive business practices and criminal offences. Me Dionne-Bourassa is invited to speak by various bodies and associations that are active in the competition law sector.
Before joining the BDBL team, Pascale Dionne-Bourassa practised law for more than 12 years with a major national law firm.
A representative sample of mandates
In the area of commercial litigation and construction
- Has acted on behalf of a fire protection equipment manufacturer in connection with a product liability claim.
- Has acted on behalf of an equipment distribution company active in the construction and forestry sectors, in connection with liability litigation.
- Has acted in several cases of liability litigation instituted against a major truck assembler and distributor.
- Has acted on behalf of a major steel company, in a lawsuit for damages related to the failure to execute a contract and the loss of work as well as in relation to a claim against this company in the execution of the Champlain Bridge project (Ottawa-Aylmer).
- Advises clients with questions relating to public calls for tenders and awarding of contracts.
- Acts as an attorney for an important corporation operating in the steel industry in the context of private arbitration.
- Acts for a global timber company in the context of a litigation relating to the valuation of inventories and working capital further to a sale of assets.
- Acts in the context of numerous recourses for an important paramunicipal corporation which acts as real estate developer and promoter.
- Acts for a British corporation specialized in the manufacturing of waterproof membranes used in major construction works.
- Acts on behalf of pharmacists in matters concerning professional ethics.
- Acts as an advisor and attorney for a self-regulatory organization in the securities field.
In the area of class actions and competition law
- Has acted on behalf of a North American brewery in a class action suit instituted pursuant to a criminal inquiry conducted by the Competition Bureau.
- Has acted on behalf of a leading pharmaceutical company in numerous class action suits instituted pursuant to alleged violations of the Competition Act.
- Has acted on behalf of a major drug manufacturer in a class action suit instituted in order to claim damages allegedly resulting from the use of a cold medication intended for children.
- Has acted as an advisor on behalf of a North American brewery with regard to the Competition Act and, more specifically, with regard to restrictive trade practices and criminal offences. Has also provided training in the context of annual sales meetings throughout the Province of Québec.
- Has acted as an advisor and instructor in relation to the development of compliance programs for companies working in various sectors including the construction and forest industries.
- Has acted as an advisor to various clients in connection with seizures and criminal inquiries conducted by the Competition Bureau.
- Acts for an American publishing house in a class action with regard to electronic books.
- Acts as Presiding Officer in competition law mandates entrusted by the Canadian Department of Justice.
- Acts for automobile parts manufacturers in numerous class actions pursuant to alleged Competition Act infringement.
- Acts for an important paramunicipal corporation in the context of a class action alleging illegal rent increases.
In the area of real estate litigation
- Advises managers and building owners and represents them in the context of litigations between them and commercial tenants among other things.
- 1998 – Called to the Québec Bar
- 1996 – Université de Montréal, LL.B.
- 1993 – Minor in arts and sciences, Criminology and political science, Université de Montréal
- Canadian Forces, Naval Reserve (1991-1997). Rank achieved: lieutenant.
Areas of expertise
- Civil, commercial and real estate litigation
- Construction law
- Class actions
- Competition law
- Civil and commercial arbitration
Co-author with Barry Zalmanowitz of the chapter entitled “Non-criminal Review of Agreements among Competitors that Prevent or Lessen Competition Substantially”, in James Musgrove, Fundamentals of Canadian Competition Law, 2nd edition., Toronto, Carswell and Canadian Bar Association’s Competition Law Section, 2010.
- Review of recent jurisprudence with respect to professional liability
- Grande Rencontre Contech « Les Réclamations sous tous les angles », November 2013, Palais des congrès, Montréal
- Better management of claims
- 12e journée d’étude sur les réclamations sur contrats, Université Laval, Faculté des sciences et de génie (2013)
- Mastering the subtleties of competition legislation to ensure the compliance of your contract in accordance with the chosen jurisdiction
- Conference “Legal and business guide to trans-border and international contracts”, Canadian Institute and Insight, speaker (2010)
- Competition Class actions instituted in the Province of Québec
- Canadian Bar Association, competition law section, panelist (2009)
- Presentation on the Competition Act
- On behalf of several clients including major companies (2009). Presentation accredited by the Québec Bar.
- Training session on civil law given to paralegals
- Insight Information
- Quebec Barꞌs Seminar on the Art of Pleading
- Witness at the Quebec Barꞌs Seminar on the Art of Pleading, a course within its Continued Education Program which is given yearly at the University de Sherbrooke (since 2011).
Associations and activities
- Québec Bar
- Canadian Bar Association
- Member of various committees in the competition law section of the Canadian Bar Association